The Aston Martin DB4 GT Zagato was introduced in October 1960 at
the London Motor Show. It was effectively a DB4 GT, lightened and
improved by the Zagato factory in Italy, by Ercole Spada. Initially
the factory had plans to produce 25 cars, but demand wasn't as strong
as expected and production ceased at the 20th unit.
Four of the original Zagato's chassis', 0191, 0193, 0182(1 VEV)
and 0183(2 VEV) were built to a lightened DP207/209 specification,
especially for racing. The first competition outing of a DB4 GT
Zagato was during Easter in 1961 at Goodwood. Driven by Stirling
Moss the car finished 3rd, behind an Aston Martin DB4GT and the
winning Ferrari 250 GT.
The most prominent DB4 GT Zagatos, affectionately known by the
registration plates they share, of '1 VEV' and '2 VEV' which were
both raced under the John Ogier's Essex Racing Stable with assistance
from the Aston Martin factory. Both the Zagatos raced in the 1961
24 Hours of Le Mans. However a repeat of the 1959 Le Mans victory
was not to be, with both cars retiring. In July 1961 at a British
Grand Prix Support race the Zagato had its first victory. With '2
VEV' taking the last lap lead from a Jaguar E Type.
'2 VEV' crashed heavily at Spa in 1962 and was rebuilt to the lightweight
DP209 specification. After a road accident in 1993 the car was returned
to the 1962 specification.